This sea spaghetti winter fruit salad recipe by Prannie Rhatigan (from the 'Irish Seaweed Kitchen' cookbook), will keep several days and can even be frozen for future use.
Recipe & photo by Prannie Rhatigan
Prep time 30 minutes
- 15g dried Sea Spaghetti
- 100ml water
- 1 tsp honey
- dash of kirsch or cherry brandy
- 200g dried figs or prunes
- 200g dried apricots and pears
- 55g sultanas
- 1/4 cinnamon stick
- 300ml fruit flavoured green tea * + juice & zest of one lemo
- 1 tsp molasses or honey
- dash of kirsch or cherry brand
- 1 cup mixed frozen berries
- medium tin of sliced peaches (or fresh nectarines in season)
DirectionsTo prepare & leave overnight:
- Rinse Sea Spaghetti in cold water and snip into 2.5cm pieces. Then soak the seaweed in the mixture of water, honey, kirsch or cherry brandy. Leave overnight at room temperature. Soak the prunes/figs, apricots & sultanas in a mixture of green tea, lemon juice, honey, brandy. Defrost the berries at room temperature.
- Add the prepared brandied Sea Spaghetti to the fruits and their soaking liquid.
- Transfer to a large serving dish and add the berries, the peaches and the peach juice. Mix altogether gently.
- Add honey to taste if necessary.
- Add kirsch or brandy to taste and serve at room temperature.
- Serve with a dollop of mascarpone cheese, custard or crème fraiche.