This kale salad recipe with sea spaghetti & ginger is popular even with people that do not like kale! Combined with Sea Spaghetti & ginger, it is incredibly nutritious and the colours are striking on a plate.
Prep time 1.5 hours, cooking time 20 minutes
- 10g dried Sea Spaghetti
- 1 large bunch of kale, washed, large veins removed
- 5 cm piece ginger, peeled, cut matchstick shape
- 2 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- ¼ cup Tamari sauce
- ¼ cup reserved seaweed soaking water*
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- Soak the Sea Spaghetti in warm liquid overnight, alternatively cook in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain the Sea Spaghetti, chop coarsely and set aside. Keep the soaking/cooking water for later.
- Steam the kale a minimal amount of time until just tender (3-5 minutes). Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking, then spin dry in a lettuce colander. Chop or tear into bite size pieces.
- Add the kale to a salad bowl with the Sea Spaghetti. Sprinkle with the ginger and sesame seeds.
- In a small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and pour over the salad.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- What is left of the soaking/cooking water can be used in soups or sauces as it contains a large amount of nutrients.
- This salad dish can be served raw or lightly steamed. If you want the raw version, shred the kale finely so it is easy to eat & coat with the dressing; soak the Sea Spaghetti in water (or ginger tea) overnight.
- If you prefer the steamed version, the kale pieces can be bigger as they will wilt slightly with the steam and the Sea Spaghetti can be softened quickly by cooking it as you would do pasta.