This vegan Kombu stock recipe is a western style approach for stock preparation. Whether you are making a vegetarian stock or bone broth this stock will provide wonderful umami flavour as well as rich nutrients from the Kombu seaweed.
Prep time 15 mins, cooking time 30 mins
- 3 liters of water
- 1 New Zealand Kombu strip
- 1 small onion including skin for colour, sliced roughly
- 1 small carrot, sliced roughly
- 1 handful of dried shiitake or porcini mushrooms
- ½ celery stick
- 1 cloves garlic
- Slice of fresh ginger (optional)
- Fresh thyme, parsley & coriander stalks
- Place all the ingredients except Kombu in a large pot, cover and bring to a simmer slowly. Simmer gently for 15 minutes. Stop cooking and add the Kombu . Steep for 10 minutes or more, according to taste.
- Use this as a strength giving drink or a base for soups & stews. Kombu and mushrooms can be chopped and returned to the stock if desired.