Neena and Belinda made this gorgeous Chilli Kelp Spiced Lamb with our Chilli Kelp seasoning on TV ONE's My Kitchen Rules NZ. Kelp tenderises and reduces cooking time whilst adding a wonderful flavour.
Prep time 30 minutes, cooking time 30 minutes
2 Lamb back straps
2 tbsp. Pacific Harvest Chilli Kelp seasoning (used as a rub)
2tsp Coriander seeds
2tsp Cumin seeds
1tsp Ground turmeric
2Tbsp Stone ground tahini
2 Garlic cloves
1/2 Fresh red chilli – deseeded
4 Lemons, juice and zest
10 Dried figs
50g Pinenuts, toasted
10 Mint leaves
1 packet Chevre or other goat cheese
Parsley and mint to garnish
1/4 cup Olive oil
- Put eggplant onto gas burner and char for about 15 minutes turning regularly.
- Scrape eggplant flesh out of skin and put into a sieve to drain and remove bitter juices for about 10 minutes.
- Fry onion and garlic for about 10 minutes over low heat. Place with the eggplant into food processor and add tahini, lemon zest and juice, chilli, 10 mint leaves and salt to taste. Blitz to a smooth puree. Taste and adjust to your liking, adding a splash of maple if you like.
- Toast coriander and cumin seeds, put into pestle and mortar to grind to fine powder add in the oil and turmeric.
- Brush lamb with spiced oil on both sides to coat and set aside. Sprinkle chilli kelp over the lamb and coat both sides of the lamb.
- Pan fry the lamb over med-high heat until seared on all sides, transfer to 180 degree oven for roughly 4 minutes or until lamb is medium rare.
- Rest for 10 minutes and slice.
- Plate your eggplant puree in a circular smear over plate, add 5 pieces of your sliced lamb to each plate, scatter over dry figs, pine nuts, and cherve. Garnish with fresh herbs and drizzle with remaining turmeric and spice oil.