This egg souffle recipe may sound intimidating but it is actually easy to make. It is very light & features wild nori, a red seaweed which offers wonderful nutrients and a wonderful umami flavour.
Prep time 20 mins, cooking time 45mins
- 3/4 cup Nori flakes
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/3 cup broth
- 1/2 cup chopped leek
- 3 egg yolks, 4 egg whites
- sea salt & freshly ground
- black pepper
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbed
- chopped coriander leaves
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC.
- Sauté Nori & leek in butter over low heat, add flour and stir until smooth. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add cream and broth and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk the egg yolks one at a time into the sauce.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Quickly and gently fold them into the yolk mixture working so to not deflate the volume.
- Transfer the mixture to buttered soufflé dish and bake in the bottom third of the oven for 20 minutes for individual servings or 45 minutes for a single large dish.
- Sprinkle with garnish and serve.