This shortbread biscuit recipe includes wakame seaweed which brings a great savoury flavour and range of nutrients. It is a healthier option that traditional shortbread because of the addition of this subtly flavoured seaweed.
Recipe & photo by Allison Pirrie-Mawer
Prep time 15 minutes, cooking time 15 minutes
- 115g butter
- 170g plain flour
- 2 tbsp dried Wakame flakes
- Kelp Sea Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place all ingredients, except salt and pepper, in a food processor and blitz till the dough starts coming together. Remove from food processor and finally knead together by hand. Roll into a sausage shape and wrap with a compostable plastic or beeswax wrap
- Rest in the fridge till chilled.
- Remove wrapping and slice discs of approx 1/2 inch thick.
- Place on a non stick baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown (a bit longer than sweet shortbread).
- Season with kelp salt and cracked pepper as soon as the come out of the oven.
Serve with cheese!