This seaweed soup with Wakame recipe is a meal in itself - similar to miso soup, bringing warmth and nutrients to your meal.
Prep time 30 mins
- 4 cups dashi stock (make in advance)
- 15g dried Wakame
- 1 cup dried exotic mushrooms
- 2 tbsp aka miso (red)
- 200g firm tofu, cubed
- 4 tbsp shiro miso (light)
- 1 cup watercress (or spinach)
- 90g Hakubaku soba noodles
- 2/3 cup coriander leaves
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Rehydrate the dried Wakame in warm water for 5 minutes, then drain. Soak the mushrooms in water for 10 – 15 minutes. Cut thin and add the soaking water to the dashi. Cook the soba noodles in salted water according to manufacturer’s instructions, drain and rinse in cold water. Bring the stock to a simmer. Add both miso and whisk – do not boil. Add the tofu and cook for 1 minute.
- Split the noodles between 4 bowls; divide the Wakame, watercress, spring onion, coriander and other ingredients you may want to add. Ladle the stock and serve immediately.
- A little sesame oil will give the stock a richer flavour; grated garlic and ginger cooked in a small amount of water can also be added. Other ingredients like edamame, bok choy and prawns or clams can be used to make a more substantial soup.