This is a wonderful way to enjoy Irish Moss if you are not wild about the taste of it on its own. It will enhance your daily nutrient intake and can also ease respiratory conditions like bronchitis or asthma, and will give an overall boost to your immune system due to the Irish moss, honey and lemon ingredients.
Time taken: 15 minutes (once Irish Moss gel is made)
- 1/3 cup prepared Irish Moss gel
- 6 cups filtered water
- Lemons to squeeze one cup of lemon juice (strain pulp out if you prefer)
- ½ cup honey (Use manuka honey for a more medicinal drink)
- Optional: ginger, pineapple, strawberries, peaches, raspberries
- Prepare the syrup
- In a saucepan, combine 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup of honey. Raw and unprocessed honey adds a ton more health benefits to this lemonade but changes the flavor slightly.
- Gently heat this mixture on the stovetop until the honey is dissolved. Set it aside away from heat for a few minutes to cool.
- Squeeze enough lemon juice to fill 1 cup
- Combine lemon juice and 5 cups of water.
- Add in your honey syrup as needed to bring to desired level of sweetness.
- Add your irish moss gel to the mixture and stir to combine. If your gel was thick you may want to blend to smooth the consistency.
- Pour into a bottle and refrigerate until chilled to allow flavours and consistency to build up (at least 2 hours before serving).
- Serve and enjoy your Irish Sea moss lemonade!
- Use high quality ingredients – fresh lemons (not store bought conentrate), organic honey, clean filtered water where possible.
- Go slowly with the sweetener - taste test the lemonade mixture as you add your honey water to suit it to your tastebuds.
- Keep or remove the pulp – you can strain the lemonade through a fine mesh sieve to easily remove the pulp or keep it all in.
- Add extra flavours – try adding mint or different fruits to your lemonade to bring in more flavours.