This vegan Jelly recipe is made with Agar Powder, derived from a red seaweed, instead of gelatine - it also has no artificial colours and flavourings. We have used blackcurrent to flavour this recipe but you can use any of your choice.
Prep time 1 hour, cooking time 5 mins
- 1 cup of juice (or powder*)
- 1 tsp Agar powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or 1 tsp honey – or to taste (optional)
- Pour the liquids into a cooking pot and sprinkle with Agar Powder and sweetener of your choice (if using). Use a whisk, mix to combine and let stand for 10 minutes for the Agar to swell.
- Place the pot on medium heat. Warm to dissolve the Agar and sweetener, while stirring.
- When the mixture reaches a boil, simmer for 2 minutes while stirring to make sure all is dissolved. Remove from heat and ladle immediately into a flat dish or into moulds of your choice. The mixture will set at room temperature.
- Refrigerate for a faster and stronger set.
- Before serving, cut the gummies into bite-size shapes.
- Instead of juice you can use powder. In this recipe we used 1 tbsp of Viberi blackcurrant powder in one cup of water
- Jellies may ‘sweat’ when weather is humid. To prevent this, you could dissolve 1 tsp of corn starch (corn flour) with the agar into the liquid that you are cooking.