This wakame pesto pasta recipe is delicious, easy and quick to make. You can eat it either hot or cold topped with parmesan.
Prep time 20 minutes, cooking time 10 minutes
- 350g penne/spiral pasta (any preferred pasta can be used)
- 2 chicken thighs
- 15 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 cup dried wakame seaweed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (as desired)
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling, salted water, until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add wakame and enough cold water to cover. Soak for 5 minutes, or according to package directions. Reserving 2 tbsp soaking liquid, drain wakame.
- Dice chicken into small bite size pieces, use a frying pan oiled with a drizzle of extra virgin oil to completely cook chicken and leave aside.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse drained wakame, basil, lemon juice, extra- virgin oil, garlic, salt, pepper and chilli flakes. This should create a nice pesto paste.
- Return pasta to pan. Add reserved liquid and stir in the pesto. Stir to combine. Stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until pesto is through all areas of the pasta then slowly add the chicken and tomatoes.
- Top with parmesan and serve either hot or cold.