Easy, delicious and guaranteed to delight - adding Dulse to your favourite cheese scones brings a saltiness and umami depth, as well as lovely colour.
Prep & cooking time around 30 minutes.
- 2 cups self-rising flour (or gluten-free option)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash of ground chilli (optional)
- 2 tbsp Dulse flakes
- 1 1/2 cup grated tasty cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 C.
- Line a biscuit tin with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, the salt & the chilli pepper (if using) into a bowl. With a fork or two knives, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir through 2/3 of the cheese & the Dulse flakes.
- In a cup or small bowl, stir together the milk and the eggs. Add to the flour mixture and incorporate briefly with a knife.
- Turn onto a floured board and shape into a circle. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheddar and the Parmesan.
- Cut into squares and transfer onto the baking sheet.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 10-17 minutes depending on the size of the scones or until cooked and golden.