This Japanese Cucumber Salad with Wakame is refreshing and very easy to make at home. It is traditionally made with paper thin slices of cucumber & wakame. Adding orange brings a fresh zest!
Prep time 30 mins
- 1 large English cucumber, or 2 to 3 Japanese cucumbers
- 2 Tbsp dried Wakame seaweed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugr
- 1/4 tsp sy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Kelp salt to taste
- Furikake seaweed seasoning to garnish (optional)
- Hydrate dried wakame seaweed in water for 10 minutes. Drain water and squeeze water out from wakame. (Note, don’t throw the soaking water away, it is delicious to drink or use in smoothies or soups & it is full of minerals!). Chop if necessary.
- Slice cucumbers as thin as you can. Stir in kelp salt, and let sit for 5 minutes. Squeeze water out from cucumbers.
- In a small bowl, mix rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and sesame oil together until sugar dissolves. Add vinegar mixture and sesame seeds to prepared cucumbers and wakame and mix well.
- Garnish with Furikake seaweed seasoning if desired.