This easy tomato soup recipe with wakame seaweed is delicious and more nutritious with the addition of wakame seaweed which gives it umami flavour and added nutrients.
Photo by Sarah Murphy-Kangas, recipe from Maine Coast Sea Vegetables
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large carrots, sliced thin
- 2/3 cup re-hydrated wakame seaweed, cut in small pieces
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed
- 3 cups water or Kombu stock
- 6-8 large tomatoes or tin of chopped tomatoes in juice
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Italian parsley to garnish
- sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Sauté the onion & carrots in a sauce pan for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the parsley.
- Simmer over low heat for 45 minutes until rice and vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and ladle in bowls.
- Garnish with fresh parsley & parmesan or sea lettuce flakes