This is a nourishing seaweed stock secipe used in Japan as a base for miso soup and stews. This vegetable & seaweed stock is nutritious & delicious and offers lots of minerals & umami flavour.
Prep time 15 minutes, cooking time 1 hour
- 3 liters of water
- 1 tbsp dried Wakame seaweed
- 5-6 strands Sea Spaghetti
- 5cm piece of Kombu strip
- 2 tbsp Nori Fronds
- 1 medium onion including skin for colour, sliced roughly
- 1 small carrot, sliced roughly
- 1 handful of dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 stick celery
- 1 cloves garlic + small piece of fresh ginger
- fresh thyme, parsley & coriander stalks
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot, cover and bring to a simmer slowly.
- Simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Cool & strain into a large bowl or jug.
- The pieces of seaweed and mushrooms can be chopped and returned to the stock if desired.
Seaweed stock is used in Asia as a base for miso soup and for stews. You can just use kombu strips (for a traditionally Japanese approach) or you can try a combination of seaweeds (whatever is in your pantry), and land vegetables and herbs to make a nourishing stock.